ebXML supports electronic interchange by parties in a peer-to-peer relationship when the interchange crosses domains of control. The specifications enable the composition of distinct components that can be used individually, together with the other specifications in the framework, or with other emerging technologies to accomplish a larger activity or business goal.
Five capabilities were identified as part of the initial objective for ebXML, and remain important to conduct electronic trading relationships among business parties. They are:
- Well-understood business semantics and guiding principles
- Framework and operational semantics for assembling business transactions and complex activities
- A secure and reliable transport
- Defined framework for publishing, discovery and availability of needed artifacts and services
- Framework to configure a contract between business parties, and to associate or link the business process with the underlying transport